Two beauty spots in Co Mayo are included in The Blueway, a new initiative to encourage visitors to discover the Mayo-Galway coastline through water activities such as snorkeling, surfing, body boarding, windsurfing and kayaking.
The coastal Blueway sites in Mayo are Keem on Achill Island, and Old Head, Louisburgh.
The Galway locations are Boffin Harbour on Inishbofin, Killary Fjord in Leenane, and Mannin Bay Clifden.
The Blueway, a new initiative to complement the Wild Atlantic Way, has been launched by Minister of State for Tourism and Sport, Michael Ring TD.
The pilot programme will also highlight local activity providers and events at the five Blueway locations.
Over the summer months, a series of “Blueway Days” will be taking place at the pilot locations to encourage visitors to engage with the sea (see dates below).
- JUNE 1st: Old Head (Louisburgh/Westport)
- JUNE 8th: Killary Harbour (Glassillaun Beach)
- JUNE 15th: Achill (Keel and Keem Beach)
- JUNE 22nd: Mannin Bay (Clifden)
- JUNE 29th: Inishbofin (Harbour)
- JULY 19th: Achill Island (Keel and Keem Beach)
- JULY 20th: Mannin Bay (Clifden)
- JULY 27th: Killary Harbour (Glassillaun Beach)
- AUGUST 3rd: Old Head (Louisburgh/Westport)
- AUGUST 9th: Ìnishbofin (Harbour)