Three days walking through some of the most beautiful and historic countryside in County Mayo awaits those who take part in the the inaugural Summer Solstice Walking Festival.
Western Care Association and the Croagh Patrick Heritage Trail Committee are hosting the inaugural Summer Solstice Walking Festival on Friday, June 20th to Sunday, June 22nd.
The 61km national way-marked walk which begins in Balla, meanders through the unspoilt landscape and rich heritage of central Mayo and ends at the village of Murrisk at the foot of Croagh Patrick on the shores of Clew Bay.
The Croagh Patrick Heritage Trail is a 61km national way-marked walk which begins in Balla, meanders through the unspoilt landscape and rich heritage of central Mayo and ends at the village of Murrisk at the foot of Croagh Patrick on the shores of Clew Bay.
It will take three days to complete the entire Croagh Patrick Heritage Trail. Walkers can choose to walk the whole trail over three days or alternatively, take part in one and/or two of the days.
Transport will be provided each morning to ferry Walkers from the meeting point to the starting point. This means that your personal transport will be at the end of your destination on arrival each day.
Details of the three day walking festival are as follows:
Day 1: Friday, June 20th
- 8.30am: Collection at Car Park beside Corley’s Pub Ballintubber
- 9.00am: Registration at Balla Community Centre Tea/Coffee
- 9.30am: Commence Walk from Balla to Ballintubber Grade (16 km) Grade – Moderate
Day 2: Saturday, June 21st
- 08.30am: Collection at Aughagower Village Car Park
- 09.00am: Registration at Ballintubber Community Centre
- 09.30am: Commence Walk from Ballintubber to Aughagower (25.5 km) Grade – Hard
Day 3: Sunday, June 22nd
- 08.30am: (sharp) Collection at Murrisk Car Park at the base of Croagh Patrick.
- 09.00am: Registration at Aughagower Community Centre
- 09.30am: Commence Walk from Aughagower to Murrisk (19km) Grade – Difficult
This is a guided walk and guides will be available to guide at fast, medium and easy pace. As this is generally a moderate walk, a reasonable level of fitness is required.
Proper walking boots and waterproof raingear is essential. Refreshments will be provided at the Start and middle of each day. Teenagers under 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult and no dogs allowed.
Entry Fee is €15 per day and €40 for the three days. Sponsorship Cards are available from the Croagh Patrick Heritage Trail Office and the Fundraising Department, Western Care Association.